Inadequate security may involve more than lack of manpower

On Behalf of | Jan 21, 2016 | Premises Liability |

Providing for the safety of those on public fairgrounds in Hawaii involves more than simply hiring security guards or making sure there is appropriate lighting on the premises. Other issues of inadequate security might include various details surrounding vendors on the property, including the products they are making available to the public. When a potentially dangerous item is knowingly made available, the lives of those attending the fair may be placed at risk.

Such seems to have been in the case in another state when a tragedy occurred at a food concession stand at a county fair. Apparently, a woman was helping her daughter and her daughter’s husband run a group of food stands at the fair that day. Another man was reportedly selling propane on the county-owned property, and according to some, he did not have appropriate authorization nor the necessary safety equipment required by law.

Tragically, the tank holding the propane allegedly discharged gas into the surrounding atmosphere. At some point, a fiery explosion ensued and trapped the woman inside the nearby concession stand. Her husband, who has since filed a lawsuit against the county Fair Association and others, said that he was traumatized to see his wife, whose severe burns covered more than 80 percent of her body, lie on the ground in pain for more than an hour before rescue workers responded to the scene.

Sadly, the man’s wife did not survive her injuries. He contends that the defendants were negligent, failing to prevent or address dangerous conditions on the premises. Whether inadequate security involves a lack of safeguards or other issues that place Hawaii fair-goers at risk, the results can prove disastrous when accidents occur. Certainly, an experienced personal injury attorney would be able to offer assistance to those who wish to file legal claims if they or their loved ones have been harmed in such incidents.

Source:, “Lawsuit filed in propane explosion death“, Dianne L. Stallings, Jan. 19, 2016