Call Now For A Free Consultation 808-600-3514

Protecting The Legal Interests Of Injured Hawaii Residents And Visitors Since 1973

Finley Boyle, 3, dies: Parents remove feeding tubesafter child's disastrous root canal

Ashley and Evan Boyle made the tough decision to release Finley from her suffering after doctors informed them that the child would remain in a persistent vegetative state. The Hawaiian girl died on Friday.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 4, 2014, 1:37 PM

News Photo

The 3-year-old Hawaiian girl who was left brain dead after a routine root canal died on Friday night.

After doctors confirmed that Finley Boyle was in a persistent vegetative state, her parents made the tough decision to remove the feeding tubes that were keeping their little girl alive. She died at 8:47 p.m., surrounded by her family members.

“Her parents can’t believe anyone would want to live not knowing they’re alive, going through terrible seizures,” attorney Rick Fried told The News. “They didn’t want to see her going through puberty in diapers.”

News Photo

Parents Ashley and Evan Boyle have filed a lawsuit against dentist Lily Geyer and unidentified staff members at Island Dentistry for Children in Kailua.

Ashley, a registered nurse, said that her child would have been healthy if Geyer had taken the right precautions.

Finley was diagnosed with 10 cavities during her first visit to the dentist’s office. Geyer claimed the child needed four root canals. On Dec. 3, Finley returned to Geyer’s office and was given high doses of Demerol, hydroxyzine and chloral hydrate, as well as nitrous oxide.

The deadly cocktail of drugs cut off oxygen to Finley’s brain, resulting in serious brain damage.

“It’s a horrendous screw up,” Fried said, adding that most of the dental work that Geyer prescribed was unnecessary.

News Photo

Island Dentistry has shut down while the lawsuit, which alleges negligence and dangerous conduct, works its way through the courts.

Finley’s struggle is drawing comparisons to the case of Jahi McMath, a 13-year-old who was declared brain dead after a tonsillectomy gone horribly wrong.

News Photo

Children’s Hospital Oakland refused to insert breathing or feeding tubes into McMath’s body, CBS reports. On Friday, the hospital agreed on to let McMath’s family move her to a different medical facility.

With News Wire Service