Were you injured in a car accident during your Hawaiian vacation?

On Behalf of | Dec 29, 2016 | Car Accidents |

Hawaii is a dream vacation destination. The sun, the ocean and the captivating music and dance bring families from all over the world to the Aloha State. Unfortunately, getting injured in a car accident while in Honolulu can turn your holiday into a nightmare.

It can be frustrating when you aren’t familiar with the laws, rules and procedures of Hawaiian personal injury claims. You will need help obtaining compensation for your losses.

What is no-fault insurance?

Twelve states and the U.S. territory of Puerto Rico have no-fault insurance laws. If you and your family are from one of them, then you probably have an understanding of how no-fault claims work. In Hawaii, the insurance carrier for your rental car is required to meet the minimum coverage standards for bodily injury and medical bills.

Unfortunately, Hawaii no-fault coverage may not be enough to pay for your medical expenses, nor other losses such as long-term treatment, lost income and pain and suffering. Additionally, it does not cover losses to property or vehicles.

As a visitor to the islands, you face a few unique hurdles. One of the key problems you could encounter is coordinating medical costs when you return home and are under the care of your own doctor. The second issue will be what to do if the medical costs and losses exceed the insurance coverage.

Seek legal help before going home

As a visitor, it can be very helpful to talk with an attorney before leaving the island so you know your options. If the insurance coverage doesn’t cover all of your losses, you may need to file a lawsuit to get fully compensated. Although Hawaii is a no-fault state, you do have the right to pursue additional compensation for other losses, such as:

· Injuries, pain and suffering that exceed insurance coverage

· A permanent disability, for example loss of limb or blindness

· Disfigurement, including permanent scarring

· Loss of a loved one’s life

In Hawaii, you have two years to file a lawsuit. An experienced personal injury attorney from the Honolulu law firm of Cronin, Fried, Sekiya, Kekina & Fairbanks can help you if you or a loved one suffered a loss at the hands of a negligent driver in Hawaii.